[TOS] POSSE announcement template email (v.1.0)

Gregory Hislop hislopg at drexel.edu
Thu Mar 25 15:37:45 UTC 2010

Mel -

Sorry for the late contribution, but I have a concern about the latest draft.  I've noticed that when I explain the open source things we're doing that an initial reaction is "we do that too".  But with additional conversation it often turns out that "it" is not *participation* in open source, but simple use of open source products (e.g, "we teach our students to use SVN").  The announcement draft overall is clear, but I wonder if the first sentence should address this more directly.  As it is:

"Interested in learning how to incorporate open source tools, methodologies, and community participation into your existing classes?"

people might read "incorporate open source tools" to mean *use* of open source tools, which is quite common, and may stop reading.  How about something like:

"Would you like to teach your students to be participants and contributors to open source projects?"

or something similarly direct.

Cheers,

Greg Hislop