[TOS] Textbook Audience

Matthew Jadud mjadud at allegheny.edu
Sat Mar 27 12:53:55 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 08:33, Mel Chua <mel at redhat.com> wrote:
> Actually, this reminds me of an idea Matt Jadud brought up the other day
> - personas[0][1] for the book. I added that thought here:
> http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Instructor_Guide#Notes_for_the_0.9_Release

To provide a bit more background (but less than a webpage):

Before we started developing a library and documentation (book) to
support parallel programming on the Arduino, we spent a lot of time
defining who we were developing and writing for. This way, as we
developed the library (an interface) and the book (an interface), we
could always relate our discussion back to the personas. Having clear
personas helped us focus both w.r.t. the library design and has
provided a focus for the writing.

I think it would be a good idea for the 0.9 revision. While editing, I
often found myself wondering---who am I editing for? What do they
know? What needs to be expanded and explained and made step-wise, and
what should we expect them to know? It was too late to ask those
questions for 0.8, but some more framing might help the 0.9 revision
process.

Cheers,
Matt