[TOS] OSCON !?!

eric b eric.bachard at free.fr
Sun Mar 28 05:37:49 UTC 2010

Le 28 mars 10 à 01:53, Heidi Ellis a écrit :

> Hi Folks,

Hi,

> I've been looking at how the OSCON folks have categorized our
> submissions. It appears that the Education track is a series of
> presentations on how to _use_ OSS in education, not how to have
> student participate in and contribute to an OSS project. The
> exception to this is Luis' presentation, however the brief abstract
> on the web site seems to be general enough that it could mean
> "students using" rather than "students participating in" OSS
> projects. It seems that either we didn't make our case for a track
> focusing on student participation in/contribution to OSS projects
> or they already had a definition for an "Education" track which
> differed from ours.

Well, I don't know whether this can/might help you, but to my
underestanding, the OpenOffice.org Education Projet is more focused
on "teaching" the source (OpenOffice.org source) code. As example,
there are some reports available (all written by students).

As -  IMHO good - example, a feature, recently integrated in
OpenOffice.org : http://eric.bachard.free.fr/Education/ECN/
EducationEffort/reports/A08/en-US/ECN_eraser01_Final_Report_en-US.pdf
(other extensions to this features are scheduled for the coming year).

Our problem is that we do'nt have enough of resources to attend the
OSCON (travel is too expensive), and that's why we didn't propose
anything. But if you consider this work interesting, feel free to use
these reports as examples if you consider them enough interesting.

I hope this bring some information to the debate, else please
nevermind :-)

Regards,
Eric Bachard,

--