[TOS] POSSE meeting minutes 2010-03-29

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Mon Mar 29 20:53:49 UTC 2010

Wow. Great first meeting, everyone - I think we're off to a good start
with a lot of momentum (and now I have to learn about IRBs...)

Meeting minutes are at
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teachingopensource/2010-03-29/teachingopensource.2010-03-29-19.07.html
and are also posted below. A complete log is available if you go to that
link.

We have a weekly meeting time now, based on schedule info - it's
Tuesdays at 1900 GMT (3pm EST for me right now). In other words, same
time as this first meeting, except on Tuesdays; we'll start next Tuesday.

It's listed on
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_program_design#Meeting_date_and_location
and  was the time that the most people could make. (Alolita, Steve - I'm
sorry we weren't able to make this fit your schedule, but if you let us
know how we can keep you up to speed with things as best we can, I'll
make sure it gets done.)

Thanks to everyone who attended!

--Mel

Meeting summary
---------------
* LINK:

http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/HOWTO_plan_a_POSSE#POSSE_announcement_email
   (mchua, 19:13:24)
* LINK: http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE#Tentative_POSSEs
   (mchua, 19:25:14)
* we have, in various stages of discussion/planning...  * POSSE Boston
   Design - August 2-6, 2010 * POSSE California Design - ?  * POSSE South
   Africa - October 3-8, 2010 * POSSE Manila 2010 in October 2010 * POSSE
   EMEA 2010 - Fall (Sep-Nov) 2010 sometime, date not set * POSSE
   Malaysia 2010 - 13-17 December 2010 * POSSE Kernel Hacking - no date
   set yet  (mchua, 19:25:14)
* Design POSSE is still listed as tentative because Mo Duffy and I don't
   yet have a location, but it's a small pilot POSSE anyhow (it's the
   first non-CS POSSE) so we don't have to worry overmuch.  (mchua,
   19:25:20)
* LINK: http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_Instructors
   (mchua, 19:29:00)
* ACTION: micadeyeye and mchua to start figuring out POSSE SA instructor
   logistics on the TOS list  (mchua, 19:33:12)
* ACTION: jcorneli introduce self to the TOS list with ideas on what
   you're thinking about at your institution  (mchua, 19:44:16)
* ACTION: mwhitehe ctyler gregdek start TOS list convo on
   dev-in-residence program  (mchua, 19:44:36)
* LINK:

http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_program_design#Future_discussion_topics
   (mchua, 19:46:09)
* ACTION: develop a common interview protocol for POSSE graduates.
   (jadudm, 19:48:35)
* POSSE effectiveness assessment model (first step: IRB!) is the first
   thing on our list, followed by SIGCSE/any other academic fora we'd
   like to hit with a POSSE presence in the next year.  (mchua, 19:51:17)
* ACTION: jadudm summarize IRB process for TOS community, location to be
   determined by mchua  (jadudm, 19:56:37)
* LINK:
   http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_program_design#Agenda
   (quaid, 20:03:40)
* LINK: http://whenisgood.net/h4qzfm   (quaid, 20:03:46)
* LINK: http://whenisgood.net/h4qzfm/results/dhbqyz   (quaid, 20:04:01)
* LINK: http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE#Upcoming_POSSEs
   (quaid, 20:04:22)
* ACTION: mchua et al pick meeting time based on survey results  (quaid,
   20:04:41)
* if POSSE reunion at SIGCSE is "just" a reunion, we can simply do a BoF
   and be just fine.  (mchua, 20:06:12)
* ACTION: mchua send current POSSE application stats to TOS list, apps
   are starting to come in  (quaid, 20:06:33)
* RIT, Worcester, Silicon Valley (California) are all set and mostly
   need recruitment/publicity - so the question there is "how can
   professors/POSSE allies at/near the host school go reach out to local
   profs to get them to come?"  (quaid, 20:06:52)
* CA POSSE waiting for date confirmation from host, but otherwise set,
   also needs participant recruitment  (quaid, 20:07:04)
* CMU POSSE meeting on Friday (mchua, jadudm, kesden) to nail down
   details like "where on campus will we be" but is pretty much set, also
   needs participant recruitment  (quaid, 20:07:18)
* ACTION: mchua crunch the POSSE budget numbers for spevack so we can
   see how much room we have to do things for each of this summer's
   POSSEs  (quaid, 20:08:03)

Meeting ended at 20:09:29 UTC.

Action Items
------------
* micadeyeye and mchua to start figuring out POSSE SA instructor
   logistics on the TOS list
* jcorneli introduce self to the TOS list with ideas on what you're
   thinking about at your institution
* mwhitehe ctyler gregdek start TOS list convo on dev-in-residence
   program
* develop a common interview protocol for POSSE graduates.
* jadudm summarize IRB process for TOS community, location to be
   determined by mchua
* mchua et al pick meeting time based on survey results
* mchua send current POSSE application stats to TOS list, apps are
   starting to come in
* mchua crunch the POSSE budget numbers for spevack so we can see how
   much room we have to do things for each of this summer's POSSEs

Action Items, by person
-----------------------
* ctyler
   * mwhitehe ctyler gregdek start TOS list convo on dev-in-residence
     program
* gregdek
   * mwhitehe ctyler gregdek start TOS list convo on dev-in-residence
     program
* jadudm
   * jadudm summarize IRB process for TOS community, location to be
     determined by mchua
* jcorneli
   * jcorneli introduce self to the TOS list with ideas on what you're
     thinking about at your institution
* mchua
   * micadeyeye and mchua to start figuring out POSSE SA instructor
     logistics on the TOS list
   * jadudm summarize IRB process for TOS community, location to be
     determined by mchua
   * mchua et al pick meeting time based on survey results
   * mchua send current POSSE application stats to TOS list, apps are
     starting to come in
   * mchua crunch the POSSE budget numbers for spevack so we can see how
     much room we have to do things for each of this summer's POSSEs
* micadeyeye
   * micadeyeye and mchua to start figuring out POSSE SA instructor
     logistics on the TOS list
* mwhitehe
   * mwhitehe ctyler gregdek start TOS list convo on dev-in-residence
     program
* **UNASSIGNED**
   * develop a common interview protocol for POSSE graduates.