[TOS] Open Source Leadership?

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed Mar 31 15:49:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Matthew Jadud wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> http://www.palgrave.com/products/title.aspx?PID=286958
>
> Is anyone here familiar with this text? If so, what do you think? If
> not, this is my (possible) need: I'd like a text that captures what it
> means to take part in/take a "leadership role" in an open source
> community. Is there one that explores what it means to be a
> participant-leader? Or, even, a good text that just explores open
> collaborative communities strictly in terms of dynamics, not mechanics
> (eg. SVN usage, etc.)?

This looks to me like a "business book".  And since I've never heard of
the authors, I can't vouchsafe for the content.

Have you read Karl Fogel's "Producing Open Source Software?"  I think it
covers a lot of this ground really well.  A lot of technical stuff, but a
lot of management stuff too.  In fact, I've recommended it as a textbook
before, but heard that it didn't cover enough nuts and bolts for n00bs,
which was essentially the genesis of our own textbook project.

http://producingoss.com/en/index.html

Essential reading, IMO, for anyone who is seriously considering becoming
an upsteam for any open source project.

--g

--
Educational materials should be high-quality, collaborative, and free.
Visit http://opensource.com/education and join the conversation.