[TOS] Open Source Leadership?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Mar 31 15:49:44 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:39:12AM -0400, Matthew Jadud wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> http://www.palgrave.com/products/title.aspx?PID=286958
>
> Is anyone here familiar with this text? If so, what do you think?

Haven't heard about that one, and I'd be interested to hear more if
anyone does read or know about it.

> If
> not, this is my (possible) need: I'd like a text that captures what it
> means to take part in/take a "leadership role" in an open source
> community. Is there one that explores what it means to be a
> participant-leader? Or, even, a good text that just explores open
> collaborative communities strictly in terms of dynamics, not mechanics
> (eg. SVN usage, etc.)?

There does seem to be a lack here.  For example, 'Community Leadership
Summit' was held for the first time last year and has generated a
large amount of interest partially because it is filling a need
otherwise dormant - it's a community of practice around community
leadership. (There was a CLS West regional event in January, and
another CLS @OSCON this year.)  Jono Bacon is a founder, and people
refer to his Art of Community as a reference, but I don't thin it's
what you are looking for ...

We talk about some of the principles around open source leadership
in 'The Open Source Way' but not to any depth.

https://www.theopensourceway.org/wiki/How_to_loosely_organize_a_community#Ongoing_soil_support_principles_or_.27Get_out_of_the_way.27
https://www.theopensourceway.org/wiki/Stuff_everyone_knows_and_forgets_anyway

Heck, the entire book is targeted at community leaders ...