[TOS] thinking about textbook 0.9

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu May 6 19:27:17 UTC 2010

Aside from use in the classroom, the "Practicing..." textbook is
generating good discussions[1] with new ideas.  Some of them might be
1.0 fodder, but some of them might fit in for 0.9.

I just pulled this together, moving the 0.9 content from the
'Instructor Guide' appendix, and pulling in one commented suggestion
from 'The Lay of the Land'.

http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Textbook_0.9_planning_notes

If you are starting to get some feedback, you can start dumping it
there.

If you need help eliciting feedback, let's talk about that.

If you have ideas for the 0.9 release, there's the page to start
putting them.

I haven't put too much thought in to what 0.9 _could_ be.  My editor
mind wants to hit the voice really *hard* and get it all working
together better; get better for-writer instructions from that
experience; make sure we consider l10n.

My FOSS writer mind wants to generalize it in a few key locations so
some chapters (Foreward, The Lay of the Land, * the Code => * the
Content) may be reusable for a non-code textbook.

Thus I'm interested in discussing direction so some actual notes/tasks
can outfall from those desires.

- Karsten

[1] http://opensource.com/education/10/4/can-professors-teach-open-source