[TOS] Public request for funds

Heidi Ellis heidijcellis at gmail.com
Wed May 26 16:30:57 UTC 2010

Hi All,

Yes, travel support is an issue. TOS is a loose collection of individuals
and has no monetary base. Therefore, I do not believe that TOS itself can
fund anything. Much of the travel by members of TOS has been funded either
by the person's company/institution or from grants.

In academia, many academics have a fixed travel budget for the year provided
by their department or school. If present, this amount is usually enough to
mostly cover one domestic conference. (Yes, some folks get a bit more.) In
most cases, this budget can only be used to support travel by the faculty
member.

Another source of funding is grants. If the work being presented at a
conference has been funded from a grant, the grant will typically pay for
one person and sometimes two people to attend and present the work. In this
case, grants will typically fund anyone who has contributed significantly to
the work and funding is not limited to the faculty member with the grant.

On rare occasion, the conference itself will support attendance. However in
my experience, this support is given only if the person is making a major
contribution to a conference such as a day-long workshop or is a keynote
speaker.

I hope this clarifies the issue,

Heidi