[TOS] SIGCSE proposal

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Nov 2 01:24:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 12:54:20AM +0200, Grant Hearn wrote:

> I've scoped out the flights from South Africa to Dallas no problem,
> but accommodation in Dallas is the current challenge ...
>
> Also, I might need an extra bolster on my visa application ...

I don't personally have solutions to either of these, but my
human-networking-brain has a few suggestions.  I don't know how these
fit in with academic standards of conduct nor immigration activities.
So, I'll give them as a generic suggestion, and you can translate them
for your needs. :)

One idea is to write up a blog post specifically about this, asking of
the general Fedora Project community for ideas there.  It's equivalent
to asking here, in terms of privacy, but to a much wider audience.

The question about the visa is one that the wider Fedora community
might be able to address; there are people in that part of Texas, etc.
Writing a blog post that appears on planet.fedoraproject.org (and also
on planet.teachingopensource.org) gets the initial read, and it gives
the rest of us something to point at when we talk directly with anyone
we know in Texas.

The hotel idea is a bit easier to resolve -- you can use a few
aggregation sites such as hotels.com, also google.com has begun
aggregating this data very successfully -- you can search for hotels
near the conference location on maps.google.com and it will give you
access to some very granular details about those hotels. :) It
includes details on transportation to the conference site, street
level views to see where you can walk, and countless reviews of
hotels.  However ... you might get a good answer to this question as
an adjunct to the real question of an additional trip credential for
your visa application, so you can save that time investment after you
see what pops from the blog post.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Planet#How_to_join_the_Planet

(I see you are already on
http://www.teachingopensource.org/index.php/Planet .)

If you need any help, you can start on #teachingopensource on
irc.freenode.net, or ask back here on this list.  Let us know also so
that we can share the request to a wider audience ourselves. :)

cheers - Karsten