[TOS] If you are using the textbook this semester ...

Matthew Jadud mjadud at allegheny.edu
Mon Nov 8 17:11:50 UTC 2010

2010/11/8 Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>:
> What if it tied back to the POSSE curriculum?  Or is that too
> educator-specific to be generally applied to any student base?

Dunno. It was mostly a brainstorm comment -- that is, a possible
challenge in "selling" the book might have to do with the natural
question of "what course is this for?" I could easily see it being
used in a software development/engineering course. Note, though, that
the question/comment itself may be a red herring.

> code.  So, anything you can do on designing the code is probably the
> best use of your time.  Thank you.
>
>> I can sprint on that next weekend, not sooner.
>
> Is there anytime on Saturday that is good for you?  I'm fairly

Most likely I would work early in the day; say, starting around 9AM
for a few hours, and then possibly call it quits on that particular
piece of writing. (I have some *other* writing I have to do, too...) I
could swap those around, though, if me working in the EST-afternoon
works better.

> curriculum as-is.  I wonder if we can derive from it, spread it over a
> 10-week course, and use it as the curriculum the textbook teachers
> against?

If you want it to be used in accredited programmes, I'd say you would
(ultimately) need to map it to learning outcomes from the IEEE/ACM
curricular guidelines. (Or, perhaps I'm wrong.) People on this list
who are teaching open source software development will be able to help
you with those questions much better than I.

> Ah!  Do the reader personas fall out of the pedagogic approach?  Or
> can we dream them up the same way we did the faculty personas?

You can make them up; you might make sure that at least one or more of
your student personas reflect the majority of the students that are
being taught from this kind of material. Or, you might solicit
personas from faculty at Seneca, RIT, and... OSU? Western Conn?
Drexel?

Cheers,
Matt