[TOS] FOSS Certificate Initiative and Call for Help

Ralph Morelli ralph.morelli at trincoll.edu
Tue Nov 9 22:45:15 UTC 2010

Hi All,

The HFOSS Project is happy to announce its FOSS Certificate initiative (
http://cert.hfoss.org/).  The FOSS Certificate is a credential that
recognizes student mastery of FOSS concepts and practice. Starting in Spring
2011, we will begin accepting applications from students. For the first year
we will limit applications to students from schools that have participated
in the HFOSS program in some way.  This will give us a chance to evaluate
the criteria and application process.  Assuming that the pilot goes well, we
will open up the process to all undergraduates.

In addition to recognizing student achievement in FOSS development, we see
the Certificate as a way to help academic institutions think about how to
incorporate FOSS into their undergraduate curricula.

We are looking for colleagues from academia and the FOSS community and TOS
community to help us launch this initiative by signing up as reviewers (
http://cert.hfoss.org/content/become-reviewer).  As a reviewer you would be
part of one of the 3-person panels that would review student applications
and portfolios.

We wish to thank all the people who helped us put this together, including
several members TOS list, including Leslie Hawthorn,  Greg de Konigsberg,
Greg Hislop,  Mel Chua and the other members of our Certificate subgroup (
http://cert.hfoss.org/content/foss-certificate-definition).

There is more information on the website :  http://cert.hfoss.org/   Please
let us if you have questions or suggestions.

Thanks,
-- ralph