[TOS] What reading assignment to use for Software Patents ?

Matthew Jadud mjadud at allegheny.edu
Tue Oct 5 03:17:36 UTC 2010

2010/10/4 Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com>:
> I'm looking for a comprehensive text to assign
> as mandatory reading, ideally in the order of
> 20~30 pages long.

> "Abstract Patents and Software"
> http://www.researchoninnovation.org/dopatentswork/dopat9.pdf
>
> from the book
> "Patent Failure"
> by James Bessen and Michael J. Meurer
> http://www.researchoninnovation.org/dopatentswork/

> but I'm wondering if you could recommend
> any other texts, particularly one touching on
> the ruling of the Bilski case.

> We would also welcome any volunteer willing
> to give a presentation to the class via Skype...     :-)

Hi Luis,

Instead of encouraging the students to consume content (eg. read
followed by a guest presentation/lecture), push them to do the work.

Starting with [1], there are a number of good resources linked in. For
example, [2,3] contain links to many amici briefs, which make good
reading. Each student could read one of those documents and formulate
a presentation for the class. Or, based on those documents, engage in
a discussion/debate.

Note, however, that if your class has not been engaging in discussion
consistently -- if the class has largely been one where students
passively consume lectures, or an occasional question is asked that
one student answers followed by more lecture from the professor --
then you will have to do a fair bit of work to get them to engage
fully in a discussion or debate. For this reason, I would consider
pursuing a more individual or small group activity that involves
presenting one or more briefs, as well as a statement of opinion on
the part of the students/group presenting.

Those are some thoughts, anyway. My inclination, whenever possible, is
to find ways 1. to get the students to do the work, not me, and 2.
find ways to get them to reflect meaningfully on that experience.
Everyone approaches teaching differently, and these ideas may not work
in your context/be appropriate for where your course is at/where your
students are at.

Good luck,
Matt

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_re_Bilski