[TOS] chapters defined, recruiting writers

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Oct 22 01:18:17 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:00:35PM -0700, Leslie Hawthorn wrote:

> I'll sign on for the History of OS chapter and would also be willing to take
> on the communities cultures chapter. I've indicated this on the Textbook
> Roadmap wiki page.

Awesomeness, many thanks and hugs flowing your way.

> I agree that asking Bradley Kuhn to do the Licensing Chapter is a great idea
> and would be happy to ask him if he's available unless someone else wants to
> take the lead on this contact.
>
> I have some other ideas for potential writers to recruit for the other
> chapters. I'll point them in the right direction and see if they bite.

OK, and I'm happy to answer any questions offline (email, phone) as
people are understanding what we are up to.

> The first question that will come up is when we expect to do the next rev of
> the textbook. Thoughts? I can imagine another sprint would be most useful to
> make this happen.

How about the week after GOSCON? :)

That would give us some time to line up content sources for remixing,
and get writers, editors, and reviewers prepared.

I've had my head in various places so haven't been driving this hard,
it's all a bit behind where I'd hope it would be by now, but I think I
can clear the way to give a good chunk of time to this project
until the next rev.  For example, getting the foundation built up a
bit more so a writing sprint is more successful.

Next question -- is the release feature-based or time-based?

Due to feature requests being the major work right now (new content
chapters), I'm tempted to break the mold and do feature-based.  But I
can also see a value in releasing the next rev sooner even if all our
content hopes aren't fulfilled.  We have a lot of momentum brewing in
some focused locations, and I'm sure we'd all like to see the work
published and in use ASAP.  Thus, why some of us prefer time-based
releases when it comes to keeping the community rhythm dancing ...

- Karsten