[TOS] Teaching/Research Equipments

Michael Adeyeye micadeyeye at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 18:52:09 UTC 2010

 From Teaching Open Source (
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Research_Equipments)Hi All,
 <http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Research_Equipments#searchInput>

I have been trying to get some equipments for my classes. I started off with
recording equipments (Epiphan
VGA2USB<https://ssl.epiphan.com/order/invoice_pdf.php?inv=1d0aecf34dd19b95eebb1838ad882659a905286781258967806416bde02f14c626e09e8f02bb041b72f0f4e372198652,>and
Sennheiser
Freeport Wireless
Microphone<http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/21101_broadcast_microphones?Open&path=professional_wireless-microphone-systems_bodypack-transmitter_freeport,>)
in order to archive presentations by my students for future reference. They
could also be used to record presentations by invited guests (from the OS
communities). The recording equipments were last used during the POSSE SA
workshop. I have also identified some research areas my students could start
exploring. I would like to get some supports (financial and academic) from
the community.The research areas would require buying some SDKs. I have been
able to classify them into three, namely User Equipment,
Communication/Network, and Andriod SDKs.

User Equipment Software Development Kit

While User Equipment (UE) refers to end devices, such as Desktop Computers
and mobile devices, UE software refers to operating systems and applications
that run on the UEs.
*Deliverables:* Students will be guided on how to develop and port Operating
Systems (OSs), applications and packages to the UEs. Each course has its
deliverables; so, the kits could also be used in some other courses.

The required kit is Beagleboard (ARM kit); see
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?PName?Name=296-25798-ND&Site=US&Lang=ENfor
the ARM kit (also see
http://beagleboard.org/hardware-xM for some information on the ARM
processor)
Product = KIT DEV BEAGLEXM
Unit Price = $179
Number of units = 3
Total price = $537<http://teachingopensource.org/index.php?title=Total_price_%3D_$537&action=edit&redlink=1>

In addition, I would need 2 ARM cameras; see
http://shop.leopardimaging.com/product.sc?productId=50&categoryId=10
Product = 5M MT9P031 Camera Board
Unit Price = $79
Number of units = 2
Total price = $158<http://teachingopensource.org/index.php?title=Total_price_%3D_$158&action=edit&redlink=1>

 Network/Communication Software Development Kit

Network software refers to applications that run on connecting devices.
Focus here is on Wifi/access point (AP) devices. Unlike UE equipments that
use ARM processors, most network devices use MIPS processors. This will give
us the opportunity to explore the two processor architectures.
*Deliverables:* Research interests include porting lightweight Operating
Systems and packages to the network devices and development of some new
services.

The required MIPS kit is http://store.mips-store.com/dev-boards.html (see
http://www.mips.com/products/development-kits/linux-starter-kit/ for some
information on the kit)
Product = MIPS-based Development Boards
Unit Price = $149
Number of units = 3
Total price = $447<http://teachingopensource.org/index.php?title=Total_price_%3D_$447&action=edit&redlink=1>
Software Development Kit for Andriod Devices

While the UE software specifically refers to Linux OSs and applications,
android applications would also be considered.
*Deliverables:* Students will also be guided on how to develop and port
Andriod, its applications and packages to the andriod UEs.

The required kit (andriod porting kit) is
http://02f0fbc.netsolstores.com/arribaandroidadoptionkit.aspx (also see
http://www.mips.com/products/software-tools/arriba-android-porting-kit/)
Product = Arriba Andriod
Unit Price = $995
Number of units = 3
Total price = $2985<http://teachingopensource.org/index.php?title=Total_price_%3D_$2985&action=edit&redlink=1>
Conclusion

The total price is $4127, which excludes the shipping cost. I would
appreciate suggestions from the community on what alternative and cheaper
kits I could use. Is there any other software or kits my students could also
try out? Please let me know. Braindumps on what has worked and has not
worked at your end are also welcome.