[TOS] POSSE 2011 cohort admissions - new applications, 10/15 seats remain

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Mon Apr 4 20:30:02 UTC 2011

Congratulations to Andrea Hickerson of RIT and Karl Wurst of Worcester
State University, who joined the ranks of our 2011 POSSE cohort this
week
(http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_2011_applicants#Accepted)
- we're looking forward to seeing you in Raleigh this July, Andrea and Karl!

If you haven't yet applied for this summer's cohort, check out the
application at http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE#Apply - we
now have 10 seats left. (If you plan on applying but haven't finished
your application yet, please let me know - I'm more than happy to talk
with folks about their applications, and so forth.)

We have two new applications finished and available for review at
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_2011_applicants#Open_for_community_review
- Mihaela Sabin from the University of New Hampshire and Rajeev Agrawal
from North Carolina A & T State University. My comments are below -
would love to hear thoughts from others as well.

Mihaela Sabin
(http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_2011_applicants#Mihaela_Sabin):

* When is the course being taught? (Fall? Spring? Both?) Would be good
to know. :)
* It's nice to note that the broader program that Mihaela's teaching her
class within is designed based on the ACM Information Technology Model
Curriculum - might be worth figuring out what parts of that curriculum
the FOSS-ification of this class addresses well.
* Fascinating student body - a lot of older commuters working full-time.
This could be a challenge because there's going to be a lot of time
constraints on students that may make it harder to ramp them up into new
tools and a new culture, but once they do, messy real-world applications
are where FOSS practices make a huge difference; you can hardly do
distributed collaboration without being conscious of "release early
release often" pushing, constant communication, and so forth - these
students are likely to appreciate the dramatically fast results that
FOSS communities can generate.

It sounds like the thrust of the course is having students use FOSS to
create and deploy dynamic web applications. There seems to be a focus on
working for an actual customer - whether that's an internal meta-goal in
creating and maintaining the school's infrastructure for open source
participation (a nice dogfooding opportunity) or an external service
learning goal with local partners.

I wonder if there's a nice opportunity here to kill two birds with one
stone - if the class picks *one* piece of infrastructure that a number
of TOS schools would love to see improved, implements fixes on it that
will specifically make that piece of software (Trac? Mediawiki? etc?)
much easier for schools, students, and classes easier to use and deploy,
tries it out themselves, and then turns around and (probably the
following semester or school year) works with UNH's IT department to
deploy it for other classes, and possibly other local TOS professors to
deploy it experimentally in theirs... you've got a development project
working with a major FOSS upstream to serve local consumers of that
project's software. Karl's Software Development class and Kristina's NLP
class (among others, I'm sure) are running during the spring semester,
both not too far from UNH (decent roadtrip or
let's-all-meet-at-a-local-conference distance). Possibly an ambitious
target here that will take a couple more years than I'm thinking, but
that's one possible Big Awesome Milestone.

Also, I think this is the first time I've seen specific requests for a
POSSE to address source business models and commercialization around
open source class projects - I'll have to think about who from Red Hat
to pull in on that (it may have to be a follow-up session, depending on
how much time we have). This is *probably* not going to come to full
fruition by Summer 2012 - it takes a while to build an ecosystem - but
it's a great ambitious goal to work towards.

I'd like to hear some thoughts/suggestions on more concrete projects
this class could do - I'm trying to envision where they're going to fit
within the TOS ecosystem and it's still a little fuzzy to me - but I'm
inclined to say that if we get that sort of feedback and discussion this
week, this should be a +1 yes. There's definitely potential we can tap here.

Rajeev Agrawal
(http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_2011_applicants#Rajeev_Agrawal):

This is a great conversation-starter; I've got a bunch of questions on
this one and would like to work with Rajeev to flesh it out more so we
get an idea of what he's thinking about in terms of applying FOSS
community participation and "the open source way" to his class. Let me
try to bring out a few key points...

I believe this is the first graduate class we've had at a POSSE, which
is great - I think it'll work out just fine, since "project management"
tends to fit nicely into learning-FOSS regardless of the level of the
students involved - though I'd like clarification on what "appropriate
to 700-level" means. What are the expectations in regards to difficulty,
speed, etc. of material for that (as compared to an undergraduate class,
perhaps a senior capstone or senior-level release engineering course?)
Is the difference that they'll already "know programming, databases and
have exposure to Unix/Linux" - or is there something else? (Pardon my
ignorance here; I'm not familiar with the differences between designing
an undergraduate and graduate level course.)

"This is currently taught online using Blackboard" - does that mean the
entire course is taught online (i.e. no classroom meetings), or does it
meet in person, with Blackboard as a hub for materials? Either way, I'm
a little concerned about Blackboard and how the data sharing for this
class is set up - will open source community members and guests be able
to see the class's discussions, schedule, student work (the rough,
messy, raw, ongoing stuff - not just the finished products, when it's
too late for us to help much) and all the things we'll need to actually
be able to give the class a hand?

I don't feel like I have a strong vision for what the goals of
incorporating open source into this class are yet - and that's okay,
because the entire design of this application process is structured so
we can *start* these conversations and help professors figure out what
sorts of options might exist for where they'd like to go. So thank you,
Rajeev, for being bold enough to step out and open up your class and
your ideas to us - let's see if we can get more specific than "using
open source project management... concepts" by Summer 2012.

Let's take a look at what some of the other successful applicants have
envisioned for their classes by the end of the school year:

* Students habitually using version control for all their projects, even
after the course ends and they're not required to
* More non-majors taking CS electives, attracted by the energy of the
course and the stories of their friends
* Students started an open source club so peer mentoring can happen
outside of class
* A school-wide blog planet keeping a pulse on FOSS development on
campus (see http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/~chris.tyler/planet/ and
http://foss.rit.edu/planet/ for examples)
* Students putting together a computer kiosk in the hallway to showcase
their projects
* Students volunteering for local community organizations to solve their
problems with their FOSS skills
* Course materials being tested by faculty teaching NLP at other schools

What sorts of concrete outcomes can you see resulting from your
students' participation in FOSS, Rajeev? (TOS folks, help with
brainstoming here would be awesome.) Some thoughts to get you started
(most around Fedora, since that's where I hang out):

* Students cleaned up and improved all 20 accepted feature proposals for
the Fedora 16 release, including helping multiple software engineering
classes of other TOS professors to ready their feature documentation for
acceptance (all got in).
* Students created a dependency chart for GNOME's major upstreams and
downstreams, then reached out to all these upstream and downstream
communties to see how it could be made easier to keep track of GNOME's
changes, schedule slips, and so forth - this outreach was featured in
the latest GNOME Journal.
* Students coordinated Fedora's presence at POSSCON 2012 - handling
resource management, material creation and volunteer scheduling,
figuring out shipping logistics, funding, collaboration and cost-sharing
with other booths at the event... all without meeting a single one of
their collaborators in person prior to the event, thanks to the skilled
setup and usage of distributed collaboration tools. The processes they
set up and the software tools they used and tweaked to support this
event deployment were so successful that other Ambassador groups have
since adopted them for conferences around the world...

One thing that may be a tough compromise to make is just sheer time
tradeoffs. You mentioned that this is currently a "theoretical course
based on PMBOK guide of Project Management institute" - which is
awesome. The class already fills the entire semester with theoretical
material, and I bet the PMBOK is thick enough that there's *still* stuff
you don't get to cover even with that. Now, other profs here on the TOS
list might have ideas on how to deal with this, but I think that if
you're going to introduce FOSS project participation as a big part of
this class... that's going to take a lot of time, and it's got to come
from somewhere. What's going to get cut? This is a pretty big shift -
FOSS or not, introducing real-world projects into a currently 100%
theoretical class is a huge exciting deal, and I'd love to hear more
about the sort of time breakdown, weekly class cycle, evaluation
methods, etc. you're thinking about to make the new format work.

Probably a good question to start with is the one ME Jones brought up at
SIGCSE - what are your course objectives? Do you want to...

* Teach students a given number of theoretical concepts and test their
book-knowledge of these concepts at the end - FOSS participation makes
it more likely they'll be able to memorize all the theory
* Give students a successful project completion experience ("we started
out with goals and met them") - which might mean a much more scaffolded
and simplified project to make sure they don't get hit with
overwhelmingness or deadline panic?
* Give students the experience of deadline panic, schedule slippage,
ambiguous specs, etc. - knowing that this sort of "failure" is
educational but also painful and unpredictable... and better experienced
in school than on the job? Here, theoretical concepts might be
applicable as ways to *understand* the real-world mess that's happening
- "why was this meeting a struggle while the last one ran so well, why
was this gantt chart not useful, why did this feature spec's clarity
help these engineers complete it twice as fast?"

Let's start from there and see where we can get. :)