[TOS] POSSE 2011 admissions - new applications, 9/15 seats remain

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 04:31:11 UTC 2011

Congratulations to the new members of our POSSE 2011 cohort!

*
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_2011_applicants#Mihaela_Sabin

We now have 6 out of 15 seats filled, and 2 new applications. Here they
are, with my comments:

http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_2011_applicants#Elinor_Madigan

I like this application a lot - it sounds like they've already got
something excellent going here with the introduction of Python, and
getting some contact with the expert Python dev community (possibly
flying over a dev or sending some students over to PyCon with course
funding) would really help them flourish. I know we can connect them
with Fedora's Python development community; I don't know Ubuntu's Python
community personally but I'm sure there are people there who'd be very
receptive to helping out and making sure both platforms are supported if
students need both. We should be able to find enough novice Python
bounties to make fun little projects - I wonder how the students would
fare in navigating larger codebases/projects to make small patches? That
would increase the pool we can draw from. This gets at +1 from me - any
other thoughts?

http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_2011_applicants#Allen_White

I'd also love to be able to reach out to this student population - also,
the school uses a *ton* of FOSS - the tool-skills are there, it might
just be the specifics of working with an open source upstream that are
needed - and it would be great to get them started contributing back to
their upstreams - finding a doable project (or projects, for multiple
small teams) that will fit with their timeframe might be the main
challenge here, and again, it sounds like access to a community of
developers would be a huge benefit. I'm scratching my head over projects
that could support local cultural preservation while still plugging them
into a broad developer community, and wrap nicely after the year is over
without much need for ongoing maintenance. Perhaps the students could do
a deployment of a CMS system for an exhibit and write custom
modules/patches for that upstream - we'll have to look around. Also a +1
from me, but I'd love to hear thoughts since Moodle, etc. and web
systems aren't my area of expertise.

Comments, questions, etc. on either application would be most appreciated!

If you're interested in POSSE but haven't applied yet, head to
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE#Apply - there are only 9
seats left, so send those apps in now! Please holler if you've got any
questions.

Cheers,

--Mel