[TOS] Weekly TOS statistics, 11-Apr-2011

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 05:45:07 UTC 2011

Attempting to measure 5 things every week. Here they are for this week
for the first time, still very obviously in "learn to measure this" stage.

1. TOS presence at events - 23 this school year (9 FIE, 10 SIGCSE, 4
POSSCON, starting the count on September 1st 2010). I pulled from (and
updated) http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Conferences#Past_events
and hope to find a way to rework that page so the counting is easier in
the future.

This number will jump a week from today after
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/CCSCNE_2011 is over. I'm not
really happy with this way of counting - what determines whether someone
at an event is a "TOS attendee"?

2. TOS publications - I'm struggling with this. So far, I looked for
published books and papers, and found... 1 this year
(http://myopensoftware.org/). Do conference presentations count the same
way as publications? Do they have to be presentations at academic
conferences? We've *got* to be doing more than this!

3. TOS Planet activity - unmeasurable, on account of Planet being down.
I'm trying to throw up a temporary fix using
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Planet_Feed_List#Feeds right now.

4. TOS list activity (April 4-10):
* Total messages: 17
* Individuals posting: 6
* Subscribers: I don't have access to this data.

This one was easy, and will soon be scriptable; I'll start looking at
https://fedorahosted.org/ekg/ once I have a clearer idea of what output
I want and how to display it.

5. POSSE module attendance: not relevant, not teaching yet