[TOS] request for references on open source and creative commons in academia

Bonnie MacKellar mackellb at stjohns.edu
Tue Apr 12 12:20:52 UTC 2011

Hi,

I usually lurk on this list but read with interest, especially since we are about to dive into a summer project as part of the HFOSS initiative.

My Dean has suddenly become interested in the topic of open access to academic materials, partially because of my involvement with HFOSS. She has been asking me for material that she can read. The Dean is NOT in computer science, or any technical field for that matter, so I need to give her something at an appropriate level. It needs to be something that a Dean would find compelling, and that would make her feel that this is a movement worth supporting.  I have heard Hal Abelson speak about Creative Commons and other efforts, but I can't find a reference that really sums things up in a compelling way. Does anyone here have any good references? I think that getting deans and other top administrators on board is going to be very key to the our ability to integrate open source and open licenses into academia.

Thanks,
Bonnie MacKellar
St John's University