[TOS] POSSE alumni grants update

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Sat Feb 5 20:48:31 UTC 2011

Keeping finances transparent and giving folks a behind-the-scenes
glimpse of operations here...

Grant's plane ticket has been gotten, leaving $1323.41 remaining in his
SIGCSE travel grant for hotel rooms and such.

http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Budget#POSSE_alumni_grants has
been updated.

Antonio, you've got a grant request in the queue, I know... will be
looking at that during next week's finance sweep.

This is the last month in Red Hat's 2010 fiscal year, so our new budget
starts in March, and we'll need to figure out what we want to do with
grants then - it's taken a heck of a lot more time to manage this than
predicted, and I need either (1) a better workflow, (2) someone else to
do this, or (3) not to do it any more at all.

We haven't really seen much POSSE alumni grant activity, honestly. Do
people not know about it? Is it not useful? Managing it properly sucks
up a substantial amount of my time (a few hours every week) and I'm not
sure if that time (and $) could be better spent elsewhere (for instance,
travel scholarships to POSSE, etc).

Thoughts? Are alumni grants actually a useful thing to do?

--Mel