[TOS] OSCON Submission

Heidi Ellis heidijcellis at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 03:19:21 UTC 2011

Hi Folks,

Following in Mel and Sebastian's footsteps, Greg and I submitted the
proposal below to OSCON. I note that our text is nowhere near as prosaic as
Mel and Sebastian's :-)

Heidi

How do we get student on-board the FOSS train?

Students in computing degree programs are a potentially large source of
developers for FOSS projects and there are many advantages to student
participation in FOSS projects. Undergraduate students are learning about
computing and are typically eager to gain understanding of frequently used
technologies and approaches. Participating in a FOSS project can also
provide students with valuable hands-on experience. When FOSS projects are
incorporated into a class, student learning is supported by both the FOSS
community as well as the instructor. FOSS participation is attractive to
many students as undergraduates who have participated in projects report
that their FOSS experience is highly valued by potential employers.

However, there are some barriers to undergraduate participation in FOSS
projects. Many students are simply unaware of the opportunities for
participating in an FOSS project.  Undergraduates may lack experience, may
not understand how to gain entrée into a project and may be intimidated by
the thought of joining a FOSS community. Students have many demands on their
time and contributions may be influenced by the academic schedule.
Unfortunately, these barriers may hinder and even prevent students from
participating in a FOSS project.
This presentation will discuss the issues related to involving students in
FOSS projects. The presentation will address key questions such as:

 - How do we educate students on the Open Source Way?
 - How do we introduce students into FOSS projects?
 - How do we acclimate students to FOSS culture?
 - How do we get them up to speed on the various technologies used in FOSS
projects?
 - How do students learn to communicate in FOSS environments?
 - What can FOSS communities do to attract student participants?
 - How do we match student expectation and skills with FOSS community
expectations?

The intended audience for this talk is FOSS developers and project leaders
and academics interested in involving students in FOSS.