[TOS] POSSCON Talk (was: Re: FOSS as a study abroad experience)

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Mon Feb 7 17:12:28 UTC 2011

> I have been invited to speak at POSSCON (http://posscon.org/) about the
> student experience in open source and would like to partially employ
> this metaphor (with a tip of the hat to you, Sebastian and POSSEs) in my
> presentation.

Sure thing! Borrow away.

We're actually speaking at POSSCON's education track as well
(Sebastian's remote, I'll be there in person) so if you want to catch up
before we both speak and make sure we're complementing and amplifying
each others' points and not being redundant, that might not be a bad idea.

> If there's funds for sponsorship of a TOS lunch at POSSCON, I'd be happy
> to put one together. I saw in a previous thread that managing grants for
> TOS has been cumbersome, so not sure if this funding is still on the table.

There is. Anyone else from here coming to POSSCON? Right now I count
just myself and Leslie and Bryan, but there may be more lurking in the
shadows.

I wonder if it might be worth starting to keep track of "TOS talks" -
papers and videos and slides and whatnot that folks here give about the
teaching of open source - to give newcomers/outsiders a flavor of what
we do, and where it's listened-to.

--Mel