[TOS] request for VM at OSUOSL

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Feb 10 20:38:39 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 04:51:39PM -0500, Nicholas Whittier wrote:
> I'm a little lost in the minutes from this meeting.  Is the decision that we
> use a VM that will be entirely administered by TOS?  And hence avoid using
> any of OSL's centralized services?
>
> If so, I'm not sure what we gain by managing all the services independently.

I'm not intending to put ideas in Ian's mouth, so this is just my take
on things.

First, there is a clearly stated desire in this community to have some
portion of its infrastructure self-managed. Where OSL provides this
learning experience to interns from OSU, TOS is considering providing
that experience to students elsewhere.

Second, the actual architecture of TOS infrastructure really needs to
be hashed out by a sub-committee. That sub-committee, the
Infrastructure Team, can report back here. If we want them to ratify
decisions here, that's OK.

Third, recent discussions here including my summary[1] show there are
multiple needs under various timing desires. The Infrastructure Team
is going to need to draw up a proposed architecture that covers those
needs. It is likely they will come up with a mixed solution set
because of the various constraints.

Currently, we have no way for Ian to directly make stuff happen to
demonstrate ideas for MediaWiki, other applications, and so forth. If
Ian wants to show OSUOSL staff how we'd like our MediaWiki to be
configured, one way is to setup a running instance and point at
that. (It's a PHP webapp and is relatively portable.)

So I don't see Ian's request for a shared-root VM as a final, be-all
solution proposal. It's more of, "Something we can do right now that
helps us make some progress." It's also something that is likely to be
used in the final architecture, based on the already stated opinions
in discussions so far, so it's not a waste to commission it.

- Karsten

[1] http://teachingopensource.org/pipermail/tos/2011-January/001956.html