[TOS] TOS Education Mini-Summit: LinuxCon

Jeff Osier-Mixon jefro at jefro.net
Fri Feb 11 01:14:07 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Mel Chua <mel at redhat.com> wrote:

>> One thing I don't have a good handle on - how does LinuxCon differ from
> something like... say... OSCON, except for being focused on Linux? My
> long-distance impression (possibly mistaken): It's a rather professional and
> large-scale event with a bunch of industry-esque topics but a pretty good
> proportion of technically skilled people - but people walk around in
> collared shirts, etc. rather than t-shirts, you don't see hallway
> hackathons, and so forth.

It is true there aren't hallway hackathons (or guitar-playing) at LinuxCon;
it is more sedate.  Also it is an order of magnitude smaller than OSCON, and
the "show floor" is a few booths in the coffee area rather than a full booth
jungle.  It is also more intimate & friendly, though; I don't recall seeing
any ties or collared shirts, but then it was Boston in August too.  I wore
shorts most of the week.

LinuxCon is definitely Linux-focused rather than general open-source, which
is why I was suggesting OSCON rather than or in addition to LinuxCon.  One
factor is that we'd get a whole day at LinuxCon, probably only a 3 hr slot
at OSCON.  I'm on board for either or both.

I'm curious where this fits into the TOS events profile and whether it makes
> a nice alt.OSCON for those who can't make it to Portland but want a similar
> type of venue.

Sebastian should weigh in as well, as he was the one who set up the summit
last year; I just jumped in and helped.  I'd love to set up as many little
summits as possible all over the country.