[TOS] SIGCSE is coming, who wants swag?

Matthew Jadud mjadud at allegheny.edu
Fri Feb 11 21:05:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 13:20, Mel Chua <mel at redhat.com> wrote:
> Imagine being able to hand out something like this alongside your normal
> business card:

Could do. I have a hard time remembering to carry my business cards,
let alone more. But... it could be good to have some for use during
SIGCSE. I would say that having them be generic
"TeachingOpenSource.org" cards would make them more useful -- you
could get 200, 500 or so made, and then use them at any/all events.
Also, this is easier to coordinate on short notice.

> * Posters (with what design?)
> * Flyers (with what design?)
> * Info packets (with what design?)
> * TOS whiteboard markers (we made these for the first POSSE and again
> for LinuxCon - they say "should this be on the wiki?" along with the TOS
> URL).
> * TOS whiteboard erasers
> * Get pony, paint TOS logo on it (...okay, probably over budget)
> * TOS sticky notes
> * TOS or POSSE-branded thumbdrives

With swag, who is your audience?

* Random people you meet/who come to particular sessions, or
* Every single attendee.

Attendees at SIGCSE get some kind of totebag. If you wanted, say, to
put a TOS flyer in every bag, it is possible... but we need to contact
the organizers about it. (They also appreciate it if you come in early
and help stuff bags.) This would imply around 1500 of whatever you're
making. A single- or double-sided sheet could be good -- it could be
POSSE on one side, TOS on the other.

Posters... will not generally be useful at SIGCSE. We don't know what
the venue is like, and I don't know where you'd put them. People don't
generally have room to truck big things back home, so, this would be a
tough one.

Sticky notes or thumb drives are probably more useful/longer lived
than whiteboard markers or erasers. For example, if you wanted to, you
could do thumb drives in a large enough quantity to give to (say)
people who come to the BOF, or some specific session on TOS/FOSS. That
might be a way to use the stickies/thumbdrive thing. (Or, perhaps you
were thinking of getting 10 of these... I don't know.)

Not trying to be difficult, just suggesting (at least for SIGCSE) that
you might focus your efforts in specific ways.

Cheers,
Matt