[TOS] Improving campus RFP process?

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Thu Feb 17 05:43:20 UTC 2011

I agree with Nicholas here: if an organization is looking for a
fully-supported solution, responding with an unsupported (or
community-supported with no SLA) DIY open source solution is a
non-starter.

However, a competent consulting and support company can come in with a
FOSS solution and have at least two advantages competing with
proprietary solutions:

- No-cost licensing. This leads to lower costs, which means some
combination of lower bid price and better margins for the support
vendor.

- No vendor lock in. If the support provider performs poorly, the buyer
can switch to any other competent provider, because there is a level
playing field -- there's no real opportunity for finger-pointing and
excuse-making when you have the complete source code.

Thus I would suggest that RFPs be worded in such a way that it's clear
that supported open source solutions are welcome, and be circulated not
just to software vendors, but also to support providers (both local
shops and multinational consulting firms will do these kinds of
proposals, depending on the scope).

The other way that open source gets into academic IT environments is
through skunkwork projects. I've seen two institutions implement Moodle
pilot programs, for example. In one, the Moodle "pilot" (a politically
expedient label) just kept going and going and going, year after year,
and more and more faculty switched to it because it was a nicer
environment. Moodle never became the "offical" CMS/LMS (as of yet), but
it's a well-loved alternative to the offical proprietary CMS.

At the other institution, the Moodle pilot moved from experiment to
preferred solution when that institution's proprietary CMS vendor was
bought out by another company. The IT review that this event
precipitated brought attention to the fact that the proprietary CMS was
running in a heavy-iron data center environment, while the Moodle pilot
was supporting 17,000 users on a quad-core sitting under someone's desk,
and back-of-envelope calculations showed that that machine could scale
up to about 90,000 users. The reduction in hardware and admin costs and
the massive savings in annual licensing fees cinched the deal.

Hope these rambly comments are useful--

-Chris, who was an open source IT consultant and support provider before
(and during) his years as a prof