[TOS] request for VM at OSUOSL

Matthew Jadud mjadud at allegheny.edu
Sat Feb 19 15:35:25 UTC 2011

2011/2/18 Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>:
> One important thing in open source culture that we seem to be
> forgetting here is that "the person who does the work, decides how
> that work gets done."

I can easily see how OSUOSL, with substantial support in terms of
people, resources, etc., can meet many/all of the needs articulated in
your swim lane chart. I don't see how two, possibly three volunteers
can. That's my concern. Your chart spells out the needs that POSSE
participants have articulated over the past year+ that they see as
useful both during and after workshops. The nascent TOS infrastructure
team has articulated that most of that belongs "in the community,"
thrown out the swim lane chart, and made a feature list of their own
that they're prepared to implement. (I haven't seen IRC logs or
documentation that suggest otherwise, but I'm buried rather badly, and
admit freely that I may be wrong/have missed something.)

I do not think we have proceeded in a user-centric manner, and I don't
think we're going to meet the needs of POSSEs or their alumni by
proceeding down a thinly provisioned, do-it-from-scratch path. But
then again, FOSS communities are (as you say) fundamentally
developer-centric, not user-centric.

Those are my concerns. But, as you say, I'm not doing the work, so
I'll keep quiet.

Cheers,
Matt