[TOS] FW: POSSE alumni grants: travel funding request

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Tue Feb 22 19:34:00 UTC 2011

Granted, $599.

Tracking page at
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Budget/2012/Mihaela_Sabin_SIGCSE_travel_grant#Request.
This is the first fiscal year 2012 request, so I've started a new
section at http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Budget#2012.

Some comments:

> * HFOSS symposium short paper (attached) * panelist on the HFOSS
> "Collaborating with Local Nonprofits" panel * facilitator of the BOF
> "A Neglected Pipeline? How Faculty Teach, Advise, and Mentor Transfer
> Students"

Getting academic credit for TOS work is excellent stuff, and something
I'm hoping we'll be able to help a few faculty with at each major event
(right now, SIGCSE, FIE, and OSCON are the big ones on the "Red Hat
wants to help sponsor a TOS presence here" list).

> * help with POSSE recruitment * enlighten SIGCSE friends with my TOS
> classroom experience

We'll figure out specifically what sort of POSSE recruitment help we
need when we get there - I think one of the things that might be really
useful is help figuring out good ways to pitch this to professors, good
ways to approach them, etc.

 > * write an opensource.com/education article.

This is really helpful to me from a "Red Hat wants to understand what
it's getting for its money" standpoint - the company doesn't necessarily
want to read and understand all the academic papers we're putting out
(though I'd still like to collect them, or links to them), but an
opensource.com article written for laypeople - that, it can grok. Plus
having the TOS presence at an event like SIGCSE covered is a ''really''
good thing.

--Mel