[TOS] GitHub adds educational accounts

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Fri Feb 25 01:07:00 UTC 2011

> Your concerns about licensing might preclude this point/concern, but I
> was thinking that the private repositories could be exactly the
> difference that allow some institutions to use github.  It seems that IP
> regulations in academia may prefer (read: "require") private repos as
> compared to the necessarily public repositories that accommodate the
> free accounts provided to open source projects.

Yep, I think that's exactly right - private repositories in some form
are the killer feature for a nontrivial portion of academic
institutions, as far as I can tell.

I'd be fine with github, really - it's all git, repositories are easy to
clone and migrate, it's not like there's data lock-in. I'd still want to
do an actual feature comparison to gitorious or other competitors to see
if it's actually the best solution, though (as I'd reckon we would want
to do with anything we're looking at for TOS infra). Happy to help with
the need-gathering portion of things, since I plan on making POSSEs a
customer of that sort of service. :)

--Mel