[TOS] New Textbook on FOSS

Max Spevack mspevack at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 18 16:23:17 UTC 2011

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011, MJ Ray wrote:

> Leslie Hawthorn wrote:
>> [...] Allen Tucker, Ralph Morelli and
>> Trishan de Lanerolle of the Humanitarian FOSS project (http://hfoss.org)
>> have produced a new textbook on teaching software development from an open
>> source perspective. Sample chapters are available free of charge and under a
>> Creative Commons license [...]
>
> Thanks for the notice, but they chose the CC BY-NC-SA licence, which
> hinders people who aim to earn a living working as commercial
> trainers, including in the civil/social-enterprise sector.  NC is not
> allowed in FOSS.  It's disappointing that a FOSS text book is NC.
>
> TOS gets this right, being CC BY-SA.  How might it be possible to
> convince these HFOSS authors to do a similar thing?

You're referring to this?

http://www.teachingopensource.org/index.php/Textbook_Release_0.8

I think what we need to do is figure out how these two projects differ,
as well as where they complement each other, and in particular figure
out what the proper future is for the TOS textbook project, what the
critical path needs to be, etc.

--Max