[TOS] New Textbook on FOSS

Allen Tucker allen at bowdoin.edu
Tue Jan 18 17:41:58 UTC 2011

Hello,

I want to correct a couple of points made on this thread.

First, the third author on our textbook is Chamindra de Silva, not Trishan de Lanerolle.

Second, the free sample chapters are made available by CRC Press, which owns a conventional copyright on the entire book.  A year ago, the authors requested that CRC release  a PDF for the entire book under a Creative Commons license, but CRC was unwilling to do that.

Third, thanks to MJ Ray, I am now better informed about Creative Commons Licensing and so have fixed the license on our site myopensoftware.org to read CC BY-SA rather than CC BY-NC-SA.

Many thanks to Leslie and MJ for acknowledging our textbook project on the TOS mailing list and pointing out the licensing issue.

Please feel free to contact me if you have other questions about our textbook.

Best wishes,
Allen Tucker
(for Ralph Morelli and Chamindra de Silva)