[TOS] FIE: submission deadline coming up

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Sat Jan 29 22:44:54 UTC 2011

The FIE submission deadline (http://fie-conference.org/fie2011/) is
Monday - who's submitting, who's going, any last-minute
notes/collaborations you want the list to know about?

Sebastian and I were talking just now - we (Red Hatters) don't have any
submissions in the pipeline and are a bit lost still when it comes to
proposing academic-style talks. (Thanks tremendously to Heidi, Greg,
Clif, and Matt for having me in the panel last year!)

So we were instead thinking about getting a booth for TOS:
http://fie-conference.org/fie2011/Pages/exhibit.htm - it's $1600 USD,
but includes a full registration (normally about $500 for IEEE/ASEE
members) and gives us the ability to buy "booth worker" registrations
for other people at $350, so the cash outlay is really not so bad. We
could semi-pitch TOS as a "society" of sorts, or a disciplinary commons,
or a community of practice, or whatever would make the most sense to the
organizers. We have until August 12 to decide (then the rate jumps +$300).

Thoughts? Good investment/role to play, given that a number of profs
here tend to show up at FIE to present and this might be a nice
nucleation point/supplement? If this isn't the best use of our
resources, what would be a better one?

--Mel