[TOS] Fwd: teachingopensource.org mailing list memberships reminder

tosmaillist.neophyte_rep at ordinaryamerican.net tosmaillist.neophyte_rep at ordinaryamerican.net
Fri Jul 1 15:10:25 UTC 2011

I brought up the Reply-To header issue because the server is actively
under maintenance and I once received a note at the end of my reply to
a specific person when I intended to reply to the list, "(Please also
respond to list messages on list.)"  And the obverse of your
observation about mail clients is not ALL (as in 100%) of the mail
clients let you set reply address defaults to the "To" header.

So I guess this becomes a couple of policy questions:

1) Who makes policy for the configuration of the
TeachingOpenSource.org mailing list?
2) What is the policy about replies?

Sorry, but I don't like having to remember to change every address in
every reply I make.  If I can't make the reply to the list I
definitely try to remember to re-evaluate whether the reply is
appropriate and defensible.  It's my understanding that membership in
a community with a mailing list requires a thicker skin than
face-to-face communication, primarily because faces aren't available
to read.  I also recognize (with continual re-enforcement from my
spouse) that my tone usually comes across as combative or at least
didactic.  That's a work in progress for which I have this community
to thank for their patience.  TOS has been a growth opportunity for
me, Thank you.  The discussion here always takes me out of my previous
experience box.