[TOS] apple multi-boot

Matthew Jadud mjadud at allegheny.edu
Wed Jul 6 15:27:13 UTC 2011

Hi Mihaela,

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 07:10, Sabin, Mihaela <mihaela.sabin at unh.edu> wrote:
> I'm interested in a three-OS's installation on a MacBook Pro (MacOS, Windows 7, and a Linux distro). Any experience with this kind of configuration and suggestions are very much welcome!

I run OSX and put everything else under virtual machines. This does
not work well for graphics-intensive work under Windows/Linux, but I
do a fair bit of development under the VMs, and have no real
complaints. (Yes, I pay a penalty when compiling, but that's a small
price to pay for being able to build binaries for distribution on all
three OS platforms.)

I have used both VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) and VMWare. I
tend to use VMWare because the USB support is better/more consistent,
and I need to be able to easily move an Arduino back-and-forth between
the VM and the OS without the kernel dumping in the host or hosted OS.
However, if you don't have any odd hardware/development issues like
me, there's a good chance that VirtualBox will work just fine for you.

All of that said, you may have very specific reasons for wanting to do
multiboot. However, if you can virtualize instead, I highly recommend
that path over maintaining three different OSes on the physical
hardware.

Cheers,
Matt