[TOS] Ian Weller is working on TOS infrastructure this summer

Matthew Jadud mjadud at allegheny.edu
Mon Jul 11 21:23:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 17:05, Mel Chua <mel at redhat.com> wrote:
> Question -- is the intent here to quickly set up services we don't already have and are not on OSU's list of "software that is really easy for us to install" (as in gitosis), or to migrate things from OSU (as in redmine)? The first sounds like a good idea, the second not so much, but that may just be me.

More #1 than #2, but Ian is in charge.

> * TOS Planet (http://tickets.teachingopensource.org/issues/4) -- no fallback, which is why this is priority #1.

Some of the requirements might not be in place by the end of the
month, but this makes sense.

> * An IRC proxy (http://tickets.teachingopensource.org/issues/35) -- no fallback, but we have done without in the past; priority #2.

This is something I would never make use of, personally. Do you find
that support for persistent sessions is something important to
faculty? Also, we would want to clear this with admins, as it will
involve punching more holes in the network.

Of the four you listed, this one is the least clear/obvious, and
represents something "new" (from my POV) from prior discussions on
this list. That isn't to shoot it down, but just to point out that it
isn't something that was in my personal rememberances.

> * Etherpad (http://tickets.teachingopensource.org/issues/35) -- fallback is to use a public site, which is ok but not the most reliable, and also no private option, which is an important feature.

OK. I assume Sebastian could be involved in this.

> * Meetbot (http://tickets.teachingopensource.org/issues/10) -- fallback is to continue using Fedora's bot.

Makes sense.

> Gitosis seems lower-priority than these four to me, but I'm admittedly biased. :) I'd argue that github already allows .edu folks to make private groups and accounts at no charge.

I look to Ian w.r.t. whether moving Redmine/Git functionality is a
good idea or not. (Having a flexible Git option would be useful, I
suspect.)

Cheers,
Matt