[TOS] SIGCSE travel grant request: Journalism Attack

Matthew Jadud mjadud at allegheny.edu
Sat Mar 5 02:51:59 UTC 2011

Hello all,

 Like Mihaela, I'm also wondering if we're able to support a SIGCSE
2011 travel request. I've managed to find funds to cover registration
and room, but I'm short travel.

 1. I'll be contributing to a panel on HFOSS along with several other
TOS members[1].
 2. I anticipate contributing to BOF activities surrounding FOSS at SIGCSE.
 3. I can contribute to POSSE recruiting.
 4. I'll help with SIGCSE coverage for opensource.com/education. Will
coordinate this on the osdc-edu-authors list.

 What I'd really like to do are interviews with faculty-developers
(that's a combo as opposed to either/or) who work on open source
projects. For example, BlueJ is now open source (after many years of
being free-but-closed), and there is likely an interesting "change
story" there on the part of the team. Likewise, I'd like to capture
some stories regarding "change in practice" stories---even if they're
from members of the TOS community, as I don't think we've ever
captured those stories of "transformation." I'll bring my audio
interview rig (2x wireless lapels and a portable solid state
recorder), as I think a series of short (10 minute) audio interviews
as described could make a nice "podcast" series for opensource.com
over the coming months.

 My total travel expense is $573.41.

 Many thanks,
 Matt