[TOS] SIGCSE travel grant request: Journalism Attack

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Sat Mar 5 03:15:37 UTC 2011

Accepted. Rationale below.

>   1. I'll be contributing to a panel on HFOSS along with several other
> TOS members[1].
>   2. I anticipate contributing to BOF activities surrounding FOSS at SIGCSE.

Yeah, we should figure that out, possibly a little closer to the date.
It sounds like everyone is in the frantic throes of pre-SIGCSE
spring-break mania right now.

>   3. I can contribute to POSSE recruiting.

Excellent - having multiple alumni (Matt, Mihaela, Grant) on the ground
helping with this will be a *huge* boon. You folks are going to be way
better at explaining POSSE to other professors than Sebastian and I will
be, just because you *are* professors.

As I said to Mihaela, we'll figure out exactly what this means once we
hit the ground in Dallas. :)

>   4. I'll help with SIGCSE coverage for opensource.com/education. Will
> coordinate this on the osdc-edu-authors list.

+infinity. Again, public deliverables are *very* good here.

>   What I'd really like to do are interviews with faculty-developers
> (that's a combo as opposed to either/or) who work on open source
> projects. For example, BlueJ is now open source (after many years of
> being free-but-closed), and there is likely an interesting "change
> story" there on the part of the team. Likewise, I'd like to capture
> some stories regarding "change in practice" stories---even if they're
> from members of the TOS community, as I don't think we've ever
> captured those stories of "transformation." I'll bring my audio
> interview rig (2x wireless lapels and a portable solid state
> recorder), as I think a series of short (10 minute) audio interviews
> as described could make a nice "podcast" series for opensource.com
> over the coming months.

Matt has been super-active on opensource.com/education planning for
SIGCSE and has a lot of great coverage planned. Big support on this.

>   My total travel expense is $573.41.

Accepted, http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Budget#2012 and
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Budget/2012/Matt_Jadud_SIGCSE_travel_grant.

With that, I think we are at the sanity threshold for SIGCSE travel
grant requests. I will close funding for this event now - let me know if
you have any comments/questions.

--Mel