[TOS] Wiki cleanup status report

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Mar 9 02:00:29 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 06:34:00PM -0500, Frederick Grose wrote:

> I find that authenticating through OpenID is less onerous than repetitive
> edit confirmations, and allows TOS folks to not focus on the authentication
> arms race.

Makes sense to me, but I'm one of those people who already has an
OpenID account. :)

Do Twitter, Facebook, and the like provide OpenID authentication
forward?  I don't want to get in to a flavor-of-the-year social media
auth chase, but if these big houses implement the standards, it makes
my following argument weaker ...

Because I wonder, how many of our target education audience have an
OpenID account somewhere already?

If they don't, the requirement to get and use one *will* have a
chilling effect people contributing to the wiki. I don't care that
we're mostly talking computer science educators, either. :) I'm sure
many of our desired brothers and sisters haven't touched Facebook or
Twitter and may not have any sort of OpenID account available.

As I said in my other reply, I think we should implement a
we-know-it's-broken-but-maybe-we're-too-small captcha for the
short-term. I don't want to see the spambots take back all the good
work Ryan et al are doing. For the near-term, we should look in to one
of these shared authentication schemes, and try to find a way to not
raise the barrier overly much against real humans.

- Karsten