[TOS] Wiki cleanup status report

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Mar 10 18:53:59 UTC 2011

Ian Weller <ian at ianweller.org> wrote:
> I've recently worked with three separate communities that run wikis that
> already use reCAPTCHA for user registration and anonymous editing and
> bots still create users and anonymous edits.

That's because reCAPTCHA is nothing to do with spam and everything
to do with character and voice recognition, which some software can
do better than some humans.

reCaptcha should never be used, unless what it protects is only
for the able-bodied.

Aside: is the server open source? recaptcha.net doesn't have an
obvious link.

Regards,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for various work http://www.software.coop/products/