[TOS] The first few POSSE applications - and a reminder to apply!

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 19:31:54 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:44 PM, <
tosmaillist.neophyte_rep at ordinaryamerican.net> wrote:

> You're right, Steve.  I noticed that when Mel first published the
> application wiki page for comments.
>
> I thought then, and do now, that offering applicants a promise of
> privacy for such information is appropriate.  I also think, if anyone
> is to become a regular member of this particular community, it is
> often appropriate to contact that one directly.

MediaWiki provides a configuration for private user-to-user email.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgEnableUserEmail

It is true by default, but not enabled on TOS wiki.
For an example of the email form, see
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Special:EmailUser/FGrose

The email link for an arbitrary user will appear in the 'Tools' section of
the usual MediaWiki sidebar. With the Paul Gu skin in the TOS wiki, the link
would appear in the bottom dark page bar, if the feature were activated.
(The <wiki>/Special:EmailUser/<User> link format may also be used if the
feature is active.)

Users may set a preference to hide their email address and receive email
through the wiki. See
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Special:Preferences
When user-to-user email is activated, there is an option to turn that on or
off, also.

   --Fred

 {...}