[TOS] MediaWiki Configuration

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 16:40:07 UTC 2011

2011/3/19 Ian Weller <ian at ianweller.org>:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 08:02:09PM -0700, tosmaillist.neophyte_rep at ordinaryamerican.net wrote:
>> Will you be making time to review the configuration and bring it into
>> conformance with your best understanding of what features are needed
>> by this community?  If you have such plans, I will wait to see what
>> you implement.  I think such a review is needed.
>
> If you think such a review is needed, apparently you think we need a
> specific change, which is why I'm asking you what you'd like changed. :)
>
> Ryan will be coming to me with a proposal for helping deter spammers.
> Other than that, the wiki config is fine.

I maintain the RTEMS Wiki and an Elvis Costello Wiki.  We finally broke down
and added a plugin which requires email confirmation, a bit of
personal information,
and (as the last step) an admin's confirmation to get an account.  I set up
mailing lists so the people who can approve accounts see requests.  The
Mediawiki extension only sends notification to one address.

We were getting spammed at the rate of 100 per day for a couple of
days before this had to be put in.  We couldn't keep up with it.

--joel sherrill
RTEMS