[TOS] Help with FIE Paper

Allen Tucker allen at bowdoin.edu
Sun Mar 27 12:35:55 UTC 2011

Hi Sam and Ed,

I have done this twice at Bowdoin College -- once in 2008 and once this spring.  The projects are called "RMH Homebase" and "RMH Homeroom," and they're described in detail at the website http://myopensoftware.org.

The code base and project description for RMH Homebase can be downloaded at sourceforge.net/projects/rmhhomebase.   The project involves working with a live code base and is designed to be completed in a 1 semester software development/engineering course.  Mihaela Sabin's students at UNH are currently working with this project in their Spring 2011 course.

The project description for RMH Homeroom (there's no code base available yet) can be downloaded at sourceforge.net/projects/rmhhomeroom.  This project involves developing a complete code base in a 1 semester course, so it is more ambitious.

I also have co-authored a textbook that uses these projects as the main sources of examples.  The textbook is called Software Development: an Open Source Approach, and is authored by me, Ralph Morelli (PI of the HFOSS project), and Chamindra de Silva (a principal in the Sahana project). The book has many references to the Sahana project as well.

I'll also fill out your survey.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to contact me if you have other questions.

Best wishes,
Allen

cc Ralph, Chamindra, Mihaela, TOS