[TOS] Help with FIE Paper

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Tue Mar 29 19:45:40 UTC 2011

> But it turns out that it's hard to find such people associated with
> OSS projects (managers, committers, technical leads--they go by
> different names on different projects).  I've obtained input from
> only a half-dozen people, notably those working with H-FOSS projects
> such as Sahana.  That's enough to write a good abstract.  It's not
> enough to fill a whole paper.
>
> So, if you ARE such a person (outside classes have worked on your OSS
> project), could you fill out my survey at
> https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHByQlBBcEhZMWVEeTJ5SGpXam9SeUE6MA#gid=0

Ed,

My blog gets syndicated on a couple places full of these people from all
sorts of FOSS projects, large and small. I know others on this list,
particularly the folks active within open source communities, have
similar contacts.

If you can write up a paragraph or two explaining what's in it for them,
I'd be happy to post it up. We're pretty big on transparency and like
knowing where our work is going, so helpful questions to answer would be:

* What is the research question you're trying to answer with this study?
(Is it a question project managers, release engineers, tech leads, etc.
often have themselves?)
* When and where will results be published? (Will they be openly
available? More likely... will a summary be released somewhere under an
open content license?)
* Will you send survey respondents (many of whom don't have access to
academic journals) a free copy of the paper and/or a list of 5-10
actionable recommendations for open source projects based on whatever
the study results turn out to be?

Those are the data points I think will motivate the most people to chip
in answers - once I've got them in a form I can copy-paste onto my blog
with the survey link, I'll do so. ;)

--Mel