[TOS] POSSE RIT planning meeting notes

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Wed May 4 02:18:40 UTC 2011

Chris Tyler and I had a chat tonight about the upcoming POSSE Intensive
at RIT this June (a custom one grandfathered in from last summer) -
Steve Jacobs recruited a fantastic bunch. Notes here for posterity, and
for those thinking about a custom POSSE for next school year or summer.

Meeting notes

http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teachingopensource/2011-05-04/posse_rit_planning.2011-05-04-01.16.html

Meeting summary
---------------
* agenda  (mchua, 01:17:05)
   * 1) make sure ctyler's travel logistics will be taken care of
     (mchua, 01:17:24)
   * 2) make sure ctyler and dshein know how they'll work together to
     prepare for teaching  (mchua, 01:17:47)
   * 3) make sure we know what curriculum/material development, setup,
     etc. needs to happen to give ctyler and dshein the informational
     resources they need for teaching  (mchua, 01:18:11)
   * 4) make sure we know what *people* resources need to be where,
     remotely, for POSSE RIT  (mchua, 01:18:25)

* ctyler's travel logistics  (mchua, 01:18:54)
   * ACTION: mchua see if we can get instructor stipends paid up-front
     (mchua, 01:23:07)
   * ctyler can book his own travel and settle up financials afterwards
     if stipend is paid up-front  (mchua, 01:23:41)

* ctyler and dshein syncing up re: teaching beforehand  (mchua,
   01:24:17)
   * IDEA: first Dave-Chris meeting should involve going through
     applications and pinging individual attendees  (mchua, 01:28:16)

* things to prep  (mchua, 01:30:08)
   * need to ensure building has wifi with ssh, irc ports open  (mchua,
     01:31:46)
   * need to ensure non RIT attendees have parking passes and access
     permits  (mchua, 01:32:00)
   * need to ensure laptops are available and prepared with Fedora;
     kickstart needs to be determined  (mchua, 01:33:02)
   * ACTION: ctyler take lead on making sure infrastructure requirements
     are taken care of by RIT  (mchua, 01:33:46)
   * LINK: http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_curriculum
     (mchua, 01:36:24)
   * several TOS professors will be getting together to hack on student
     learning materials 2 weeks from now, will try to make as useful as
     possible for POSSE RIT  (mchua, 01:36:49)

* off-topic catchup  (ctyler, 01:39:44)
   * IDEA: day in the life of cdot video  (mchua, 01:51:40)

Meeting ended at 01:53:33 UTC.

Action Items
* mchua see if we can get instructor stipends paid up-front
* ctyler take lead on making sure infrastructure requirements are taken
   care of by RIT

Action Items, by person
* ctyler