[TOS] Need TOS wiki spam prevention!

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at gmail.com
Mon May 16 17:38:34 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Sebastian Dziallas <sebastian at when.com>wrote:

> So I'm going to keep this short, since I'm at the SoftHum workshop
> right now. Attendees were confused as to why the
> teachingopensource.org wiki was broken. As it turns out, it wasn't.
> Rather, two spammers had entirely obfuscated the main page.
>
> It is (1) obvious that there's spam happening and (2) clear that it's
> significantly preventing people from contributing.
>
> Can we please put measures into place preventing this?
>
> I'm not particularly interested in a conversation whether captchas are
> useful or not. As long as *something* does the job and prevents *some*
> bots from spamming us, that's already better than what we have right
> now.
>
> Thanks a lot to Chris for responding immediately in IRC and locking
> the front page!
>
> That was sufficient to slow down RTEMS Wiki spam for a long time.
Eventually though even the captcha didn't seem to slow things down.
We broke down and turned on Wikipedia's features which require
than admins individually approve each account and require
at least 50 words of a biography.  The "admin" email is really a mailing
list with about 10 people on it.  So not a huge burden to anyone.

Just our experience.

I'm not saying