[TOS] Need TOS wiki spam prevention!

Max Spevack mspevack at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 17 03:06:30 UTC 2011

On Mon, 16 May 2011, Sebastian Dziallas wrote:

> It is (1) obvious that there's spam happening and (2) clear that it's
> significantly preventing people from contributing.

The problem is (1) spammers creating accounts and (2) spammers trashing
the wiki from within those accounts.  If the spam were all coming from
anonymous accounts, the solution would be easy: no anonymous edits
and/or captchas.

Two questions:

(1) How does Wikipedia prevent the same thing?  (Spam coming from
accounts that were created by bots, etc.)

(2) Can we borrow anything lightweight from (for instance) Fedora's wiki
maintenance policies?

There has to be a way to minimize/eliminate spam that doesn't pose a
giant burden on wiki administrators, right?

--Max