[TOS] Need TOS wiki spam prevention!

Ian Weller ian at ianweller.org
Tue May 17 21:28:20 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 11:06:30PM -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
> (1) How does Wikipedia prevent the same thing?  (Spam coming from
> accounts that were created by bots, etc.)

Wikipedia prevents it by having a very large editor base and people
running Wikipedia-specific bots.

One thing we can do that is "easy" is stop allowing anonymous edits and
require a confirmed email address on your account to edit the wiki. I
put easy in quotes because it's not just a one-off config change; we
have to:
- that our OSUOSL VM can send email with confirmation links
- that people know this policy is in effect
And there's the caveat that spambots can confirm their own email
addresses.

rrix told me on IRC that he would be working on this real soon now, now
that school is out.

> (2) Can we borrow anything lightweight from (for instance) Fedora's wiki
> maintenance policies?

This is like comparing apples and oranges because Fedora's wiki does not
use MediaWiki's base authentication; it uses FAS. Automating
registration in the former has much higher gain than automating
registration in the latter.

--
Ian Weller <ian at ianweller.org>