[TOS] Ian Weller is working on TOS infrastructure this summer

Karl R. Wurst karl.wurst at worcester.edu
Mon May 23 17:57:15 UTC 2011

On 5/23/11 1:49 PM, Matthew Jadud wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 00:16, Mel Chua <mel at redhat.com> wrote:
>> If it's not on here, it's not going to be in Ian's queue. (And if it's
>> filed, it means he'll *consider* it when he does weekly priority scans
>> on what to work on for that week -- there's far more work to do than can
>> humanly be done!)
>
> Hi all,
>
> Last week at SoftHum 2011, a number of faculty (several of whom are on
> this list) had the opportunity to come together and collaborate on
> work related to the teaching of FOSS. We also spent some time talking
> about the state of the community, the infrastructure for supporting
> that community, POSSE curricula, and several "next steps." This
> material will be coming on-line over the next few weeks---many of us
> came back to a pile of work at the end of the term, and updating wikis
> and the like will happen Real Soon Now.
>
> There were three infrastructure points that we wanted to see move
> forward, one of which is already being addressed (mailing list
> access). A second was site design/content, and a third had to do with
> tools for introducing FOSS. (If
>
> 2. Site Design
> Our community is less about content and more about people and
> connection. As such, we'd like to suggest that in any site refresh
> consideration that we move to a more communication-centric model --
> focusing on content feeds (blogs, Twitter/Identi.ca, ...) of members
> of our community as opposed to a largely static wiki that sees little
> use. As Mel's "dashboard project" goes forward, it would be a good
> place for dashboard elements from community work to be featured.
>
> 3. Tools
> Without rehashing previous discussions, it would be incredibly useful
> for new FOSS/POSSE participants to be able to have a "hub" for FOSS
> exploration and development without any barriers/hurdles.
>
> * A planet
> * An IRC bot (and logging)
> * An etherpad instance
>
> Based on previous POSSE workshops, these tools consistently come out
> as being (1) incredibly useful for faculty working with students in
> FOSS, and (2) are hard to set up/maintain. Ideally, a POSSE
> participant from Bob Jones University should be able to walk out of
> the workshop with "bju.teachingopensource.org" and those services
> available from that location.
>
> Ultimately, we think that having
>
> * Version control
> * Bug Tracking
> * ... (something else that isn't in my notes)
>
> would be very useful for new FOSS educators to be able to learn and
> experiment on -- even going so far as to provide a space for their
> students to learn and experiment.
>
> Based on our own experiences, and feedback from POSSE participants, it
> is clear that there are hurdles to mastering the tools of and learning
> how to interact with online communities. Faculty need a space in which
> [...]

All I have time to say right now is: +1

More later, when grading is done...

 Karl R. Wurst Ph.D., Professor and Chair
 Computer Science, Worcester State University
 486 Chandler Street, Worcester, MA, USA 01602-2597
 Email: Karl.Wurst at worcester.edu
 Web: http://sharepoint.worcester.edu/faculty/kwurst
 Phone:  +1-508-929-8728
 Fax: +1-508-929-8156