[TOS] Ian Weller is working on TOS infrastructure this summer

Ian Weller ian at ianweller.org
Mon May 23 18:13:24 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 01:49:34PM -0400, Matthew Jadud wrote:
> There were three infrastructure points that we wanted to see move
> forward, one of which is already being addressed (mailing list
> access). A second was site design/content, and a third had to do with
> tools for introducing FOSS. (If

(Looks like your email cut in two here... missing point number 1.)

> 3. Tools
> Without rehashing previous discussions, it would be incredibly useful
> for new FOSS/POSSE participants to be able to have a "hub" for FOSS
> exploration and development without any barriers/hurdles.
>
> * A planet
> * An IRC bot (and logging)
> * An etherpad instance
>
> Based on previous POSSE workshops, these tools consistently come out
> as being (1) incredibly useful for faculty working with students in
> FOSS, and (2) are hard to set up/maintain. Ideally, a POSSE
> participant from Bob Jones University should be able to walk out of
> the workshop with "bju.teachingopensource.org" and those services
> available from that location.
>
> Ultimately, we think that having
>
> * Version control
> * Bug Tracking
> * ... (something else that isn't in my notes)
>
> would be very useful for new FOSS educators to be able to learn and
> experiment on -- even going so far as to provide a space for their
> students to learn and experiment.

So something like Redmine + VCS for each university? Are you also
suggesting a separate planet/EtherPad instance for each as well?

I'm fairly certain OSUOSL has an out-of-the-box solution already
(correct me if I'm wrong, Jeff) for Redmine + VCS that could be spun up
fairly instantly for each university.

--
Ian Weller <ian at ianweller.org>