[TOS] POSSE admissions update - only 2 seats remain

tosmaillist.neophyte_rep at ordinaryamerican.net tosmaillist.neophyte_rep at ordinaryamerican.net
Tue May 24 20:28:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Mel Chua - mel at redhat.com wrote:
<snip>
> We now have 13 out of 15 seats filled, and 1 new application:
> http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_2011_applicants#Adebola_Musa
>
> I think we're going to need some more information so I'll be asking
> Adebola for some details soon - comments, questions, etc. that you'd
> like to hear about would be most appreciated!

<snip>
> Cheers,
>
> --Mel

I hope Professor Musa understands that most of the commercial CAD
systems have redefined the acronym as Computer-Aided Design as
distinguished from Computer-Aided Drawing.  It is no longer sufficient
for an Engineer to document the look of a product.  S/he must be able
to analyze the product before it is used.  This entails generating
Finite Element Models for stress and fluid dynamic analysis, tool path
generation for machining and three dimensional printing, parts list
generation, project management, and a myriad of other tasks that use
to start with a drawing and now use a mathematical model as their
source material.

I suggest he become familiar with ISO 10303 and the application
profiles contained therein.  ISO 10303 could probably generate several
classes including the construction of databases and interpreted
languages.  Students could add participation in ISO Technical
Committee 184 to their resume if they worked on proof of concept tools
for the standard.

Also, if anyone knows of an open source CAD/Product Management
product, I'd like to be informed of its existence.  There are several
pretty picture generating tools (Blender,the GIMP, Inkscape; all
meeting at http://www.libregraphicsmeeting.org/2011/ I believe), but I
have yet to see anything that attacks the Engineering tools issue
robustly.