[TOS] [Action may be Required] TOS Wiki Antispam update

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Wed May 25 23:21:36 UTC 2011

Heya everyone,

I just finished enacting more antispam measures on tos.o. This is
important for anyone wishing to edit the wiki, as it may force you to do
some work (email verification).

== Email verification ==

I have made it so that only users who have verified an email address are
allowed to edit the Wiki now. When you register, you have the chance to
verify an email address, but it's not required, so I imagine quite a few
users did not do so. :) They can no longer edit the wiki. It's easy to
verify email addresses though.

1) log in
2) open http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Special:Preferences
3) go down to == E-Mail options ==
4) tell it to send you an email confirmation
5) Click the link in the mail that it sends you

All done, and you can edit again.

== Spam Blacklist ==
I've enabled the SpamBlacklist plugin, which checks edits against a
blacklist of regularexpressions, currently being hosted by Wikipedia
(any site can have their own, piggybacking WP was just the easiest). If
one of your edits matches a regex on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Spam-blacklist it will be denied.
If it's a legitimate edit, and is getting a false positive, let one of
the infrastructure people know.

Hopefully these two measures will prevent the vast majority of the spam
problems we have been facing. I'm going to do a cursory look through the
Main namespace and clean out any spam tonight, and some time in the next
week or so purge spamming users.

Thanks everyone!

--
Ryan Rix -- http://rix.si
== OpenSource.com: Where Open Source Happens! ==